Sunday, November 8, 2009

On the train

Lucy shot Phil a sharp sideways look, marveling that he still harbored feeling of sibling rivalry for his older brother.
Aren't you a little old for this Phil?

You're right. I'm sorry Luce. I just felt so bad for you, all alone at the luggage carousel, pregnant, with the little girls. He always puts his own agenda ahead of everyone elses.

But Phil, his agenda is serving God. That has to be first.

Phil's face hardened as he said:
God gave him a lovely little family to take care of, that should be his first priority.

Well, you are half right about that. That's why I've come home. It's time for the girls to live in the states. I want to make sure they learn English properly. I want them to know their family

Phil gave Lucy a hug and they both sat with their thoughts for a moment. She glanced over at Pricilla and the other one busily coloring and chatting with Tracy. She noticed alot of folks talking on their cell phones.
Phil does everyone have a cell phone now? Everyone is talking on their phones.

Just about. Do you want to use mine?

Acutally I would. Could I call my Mom? Let me look for her number.

It's programed into my phone. Let me show you. Here push this button until you find Rose.

Phil, I'm feeling a little faint from culture shock.

Phil laughed one of his particularly comforting laughs and dialed the phone for her. Lucy took a deep breath and tried to relax. When was the last time she had heard her mother's voice?

Her mother answered. "hello Phil"

It's not Phil, Mum, it's me Lucy! She choked a little hearing her mother's voice.

Her mom screamed Lucy! Where are you?

I'm on the train, heading to Phil and Tracy's house. How are you?

I'm great now that I hear your voice. I have a surprise for you.

I don't know how many more surprises I can take in one day. What is it?

when i heard you were coming came to Chicago I drove in and I'm waiting at Phil's house.

I can believe it. You are here? You drove from Pennsylvania?
Lucy wept a little, anticipating her mother's arms around her, the smell of her hair, a little lacquered with hairspray.

Rose's voice was garbled, Lucy frowned and mouthed to Phil, "I can't hear." Phil took the phone and said
"Rose we are going underground. We will see you when we get there."

They submerged underground. The girls startled.
"It's just like a tunnel girls. Guess what? Grandma Rose is waiting for us at Phil and Tracey's house. We are going to see Grandma."
Yeah! !they shouted, even though they hadn't seen Rose since Pricilla was born.

The rest of the ride went quickly as they gathered up their things and prepared to disembark.
"Next stop is Lincoln Square. Doors open on the right at Lincoln Square." Said the CTA guy, whose voice had become familiar after hearing it for so many stops.

As she stepped out on the platform Lucy had a feeling of destiny: of a new world opeing up to her.

No comments: